Acts as the primary point of contact and liaison between the Owner/Client and design team on Public and Private client projects. Responsible for the internal and external success of project design, quality, schedule, deliverables and budget compliance. Facilitates and leads a collaborative team within a multi-discipline environment and maximizes the use of resources to improve design collaboration, increase profit per project, and improve the design strategies provided by KAI. Develops project objectives, exercises independent judgment in achieving project objectives, and manages team members to meet the Owner’s/Client’s needs. Responsible for coordinating assigned personnel and/or consultants to complete projects within budget, scope of work and schedule. Responsible for: safety, client satisfaction, project budget performance, additional service requests/change orders, schedule, staffing in coordination with department directors, mobilization, quality, profit target, accounts receivable and sales.
Level: Licensed; 5 to 10 Years of Experience
Reports to: Director of Projects
Essential Functions – Internal: Leadership / Management
- Acts according to the Company Core Values.
- Accountable for technical and design excellence, overall quality including QA/QC and constructability, and client satisfaction of each assigned project.
- Effectively communicates relevant information appropriately to all project stakeholders.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates design and engineering projects to ensure client goals or objectives are accomplished by meeting the established requirements within prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
- Has overall responsibility for project technical, contractual, budget, schedule and quality activities on small to large projects and the development of client interaction to promote continuing relations.
- Adheres to processes and procedures established by the Company.
- Acts as the company’s prime contact with the client.
- Responsible for design phase services, all subconsultants as well as participating in all major technical, cost, scheduling and performance decisions.
- Monitors and controls scope, schedule, costs, quality, communications, risks, procurement, and stakeholder engagement.
- Determines appropriate revenue / margin recognition, ensures timely and accurate invoicing, monitors receivables for project, and is responsible for collection of invoices.
- Analyzes project profitability, revenue, margin, bill rates and utilization and prepares for project reviews.
- Possesses general understanding in the areas relevant for the projects managed.
- Creates a positive atmosphere by leading, managing, and being accountable to the project team by engaging, motivating, and acknowledging the team for their contributions.
- Corrects project and team issues in a positive, proactive, and constructive manner.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change.
- Acts as project manager on proposal efforts for design, engineering, while working as the internal manager, including completing project scoping and pricing.
- In coordination with the Director of Projects, President and COO, reviews and prepares contractual agreements and modifications for projects. Communicates contract status with project controls and accounting.
- Bachelor or Masters degree from accredited College or University in Architecture or Engineering required.
- Professional registration required. This position may be required to sign/seal project documents.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the profession, primarily in projects similar to KAI’s is required; experience in managing small-sized to mid-sized projects and teams required.
- Formal project management certification from PMI, DBIA, PSMJ, or similar is preferred
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication skills are required.
- Must be willing to travel as necessary for project related work.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam, Microsoft Office Suite and A/E/C project and financial management software required.
- Working knowledge of Revit is a plus.
- Strong A/E/C technical knowledge and coordination skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and lead project teams and clients required.
- Experienced in facilitating the workflow of a team and capable of resolving conflicts.
- Leadership assessment and subsequent leadership training.
- Participation in in-house continuing education, workshops, and conferences.
- Participate in company-wide activities.
- Professional participation in presenting in-house education and professional development.
- Appropriate additional or advanced ongoing training in A/E/C industry project management software, presentation skills, BIM, and 3D Modeling software.
- Membership and Representation of KAI in professional and industry organizations.
- Participation in Volunteer Community / Civic organization(s) as KAI Ambassador.