AIA: Eight or more years of experience in design, licensure preferred but not required, bachelor’s degree in architecture from an accredited program. Manages small/medium sized projects, coordinates all aspects of assigned projects ad estimates scope of work. Has full responsibility for managing all aspects of multiple small to midsize projects. Prepares strategic plans for project success. Responsible for the coordination of all project efforts, administrative and technical, to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective execution of assigned projects. Serves as the primary client liaison to bring the schedule, budgets, and scope of work to completion and to the client’s satisfaction. Actively manages client budgets, schedules and programs; project communications and documentation; office administrative tasks; and project team assignments. Estimates fees, determines scope of work, and prepares proposals and contracts.
KAI: Acts as the primary point of contact and liaison between the Owner/Client and design team. Responsible for the internal and external success of project design, schedule, deliverables and budgets. Facilitates a collaborative team within a multi-discipline environment and maximizes the use of resources to improve design and build collaboration, increase profit per project, and improve the value-added building strategies provided by KAI. Develops project objectives, exercises independent judgment in achieving project objectives, and manages team members to meet the Owner’s/Client’s needs. Responsible for directing and coordinating assigned personnel (Architectural, MEP, Interior Design and Consultants) to complete project within budget, scope of work and schedule. Responsible for: safety, client satisfaction, project budget performance, additional service requests/change orders, schedule, staffing, mobilization, quality, profit target, accounts receivable and sales.
Level: Licensed; 8-10 Years of Experience
Reports to: Director of Design
Supervises: Project Staff Assigned
- Internal: Leadership / Management
- Capitalizes on the talent and abilities of our unique multi-disciplined team environment to find strategic advantages and leverages them for project, group and firm success.
- Coordinates the work of others and clearly communicates the requirements for scope, schedule and budget for each task.
- Works as part of a digital design (BIM) team to achieve consistent results.
- Acts as primary point of contact between Owner/Client and design team.
- Leads, manages and directs the design team, including Architecture, Engineering and Build, as well as all outside consultants.
- Directly responsible for the successful completion of a project within the parameters established by the contract.
- Works collaboratively with a variety of personnel, and monitors the progress of personnel and the project.
- Exercises independent judgment in achieving project objectives. Consults with department leadership on client satisfaction, team collaboration and performance.
- Manages team members to meet Owner’s/Client’s needs and internal requirements.
- Recommends corrective actions required to maintain project quality, schedule and budgets.
- Attends and conducts design and construction project team meetings.
- Responsible for all correspondence and documentation for the project.
- Monitors all project team and sub-consultant communication with the owner.
- Schedules, attends and conducts all key client/owner meetings.
- Coordinates and monitors all design team meetings, reviews, and presentations with the client.
- Communicates to the project team and ensures the inclusion of special project/program requirements established by the Owner/Client.
- Reviews contractor bids and provides written recommendations to the client.
- Responsible for compliance with the firm’s record retention standard operating procedure for projects. Directly responsible to maintain project records and filing, both electronic and hard copy.
- Internal: Supervision
- Responsible for compliance with the scope of work.
- Understands, develops, maintains and communicates project management reports, budgets, schedules, invoices, and deliverables.
- Creates positive team atmosphere.
- Assigns responsibility for project tasks and coordinates project among all disciplines.
- Establishes monitors and forecasts project costs to meet project goals.
- Reviews and approves “cartoon” set for general compliance with project goals and requirements. Monitors the list of construction document drawings prepared by the project team. Assesses the impact of deviations from the “cartoon” set to the project budget and schedule.
- Monitors actual hours/dollars spent vs. budgeted hours/dollars allocated. Forecasts estimated hours required for completion.
- Responsible for project quality control and design coordination reviews. Understands and executes the QA/QC process on all work. Provides QA/QC on the work of others.
- Coordinates with construction administrator, Build, or 360CS on construction activities.
- Provides input on employee performance evaluations specifically related to the objectives of the project.
- Internal: Technical
- Has working knowledge of building and accessibility codes and standards.
- In coordination with the Director and COO, reviews and prepares contractual agreements and modifications for projects. Communicates contract status clearly with project controls and accounting.
- Responsible for building constructability for all associated disciplines.
- Responsible for the production of the project manual. May also be responsible for production of technical specifications.
- Participates in project interview preparations and presentations as required.
- Meets with and/or communicates with client on regular basis during the project duration to assess performance, identify issues, and develop responses to feedback.
- Reviews client and stakeholder satisfaction survey feedback and develops responses for improvement(s).
- Maintains contact with the Client & Owner after project completion and keeps sales staff advised of potential future projects.
- Participates with Marketing during project proposal(s), client interview preparations and presentations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited College or University in either Architecture or related Construction or Project Management field required.
- Professional registration preferred. This position may be required to sign/seal project documents.
- 8-10 years experience in the profession, primarily in projects similar to KAI’s is required; experience in managing mid-sized to large-sized projects and teams required.
- Experience in healthcare, education and/or corporate design preferred.
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication skills are required.
- Must be willing to travel as necessary for marketing and project work.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam, Microsoft Office Suite and A/E/C project and financial management software (Ajera) required.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, and SpecLink encouraged.
- Must be willing to learn various other design, construction and project management software, including Microsoft Project, Procore and similar software.
- AIA and or DBIA accreditation/affiliation preferred.
- Strong A/E/C technical knowledge and coordination skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and lead project teams and clients required.
- Experienced in facilitating the work of a team and capable of resolving conflicts.