Directly responsible to produce the construction documents. Able to collaborate within a multi-discipline team environment and maximize the use of resources to improve design and build collaboration, increase profit per project, and improve the value-added building strategies provided by KAI.
Assists Designer and design team in completion of schematic design and design development documents. Assumes leadership role in Construction Documents and Bidding phases, and assists in Construction Administration. Responsible for directing and coordinating assigned personnel and consultants. Keeps Project Manager fully informed of the production and project status.
Level: Licensed; 15+ years of experience
Reports to: Director of Architecture
Supervises: Project Production Team, including internal and external resources
Essential Functions – Internal: Management
- Capitalizes on the talent and abilities of our unique multi-disciplined team environment to find strategic advantages and leverages them for project, group and firm success.
- Coordinates the work of others and clearly communicates the requirements for scope, schedule and budget for each task.
- Works as part of a digital design (BIM) team to achieve consistent results.
- Develops cartoon set in compliance with KAI production standards, which determines the quantity and type of drawings required and aligns effort with the labor budget and schedule.
- Reports weekly to Project Manager the progress of assigned tasks during the schematic design, design development and construction documents phases, manages assigned personnel; and reviews labor hours spent on each drawing against budgeted labor estimates.
- Manages keyed note system and coordinates keyed notes with specifications.
- Coordinates with BIM/VDC Manager to ensure all model uses and deliverables are clearly communicated and included in the labor budget and schedule.
- Consistent with the firm’s workflow documentation, receives project kick-off information and creates the initial project setup. Performs daily model management, maintenance, and administration.
- Creates BIM content consistent with firm’s standards.
- Integrates digital design and BIM products with other applications (Bluebeam, Procore, etc.).
- Responsible for compliance with the firm’s record retention standard operating procedure for projects. Directly responsible to maintain project records and filing, both electronic and hard copy.
- Responsible for personnel assignments for optimum completion of required tasks.
- Keeps the Project Manager fully informed of the production status.
- Assists Project Manager in establishing design team meeting agendas.
- Recommends to the Department Director, increases or decreases in assigned team personnel when necessary to meet deadlines and deliverables.
- Ensures conformance with construction document standards.
- Communicates, anticipates and integrates all disciplines’ requirements within the design process.
- Maintains positive team atmosphere.
- Demonstrates working understanding of assigned tasks and is proficient in executing responsibilities.
- Mentors the junior staff members in the technical aspect of production.
- As an experienced project leader, provides a consistent presence in the office. Allocates no more than 5% of total time to working remotely.
Essential Functions – Internal: Project
- Works within parameters of Scope of Work.
- With the assistance of the Project Manager and/or Project designer, provides programming and verification that satisfy project requirements.
- Works closely with the Project Manager and project designer to interpret program in terms of design, spatial quality, human and environmental concepts.
- In early project phases, collaborates in graphically communicating design concepts and project objectives to the project team and client.
- Performs building and accessibility codes and standards assessment.
- Assists Project Designer with the preparation of design drawings with sufficient detail, schedules, site work, and equipment layout and material selections to allow development of construction documents.
- Responsible for developing final design solution within available construction budget.
- Coordinates and integrates internal and external Engineering and Specialty Consultants.
- Works with the Project Designer in completing schematic and design development drawings.
- Consults with Project Designer as required during Construction Documents
- Responds to design review comments. Coordinates work with Interior Designer to achieve a unified design concept.
- In coordination with the Project Designer, further develops catalogue of material and product data as an aid to material, systems, and equipment definition during Design Development and Construction Document phase.
- Provides color studies and material selections as needed.
- Develops a preliminary furniture and equipment layout for all spaces on design drawings for confirmation of program.
- Responsible for the accuracy and detailed constructability of the construction documents. Leverages the talents of the firm’s in-house Build group as needed.
- Performs construction administration or assists the Construction Administrator or Build department representative in the review of submittals, RFI’s and CO’s.
- Professional degree in Architecture required.
- Registered Architect required; NCARB preferred. This position may be required to sign/seal project documents.
- 10+ years of experience in profession, primarily in projects similar to KAI required.
- Knowledge of Architectural production practices and experience in the utilization of documentation standards required.
- Proficiency in Revit and Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency in AutoCAD and Navisworks encouraged.
- Experience in other 3D software graphic programs is also valuable (SketchUP, Lumion, Enscape, etc.).
- Proficiency in organizing and producing design and construction details and documentation from schematic design through construction documents.
- Experience in assisting on projects during Bidding and Construction Administration required.
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Experience in supervising team involved in production of project documentation and coordinating other disciplines and sub-consultants required.
- Eligibility for Associate, Senior Associate.
- Professional participation in attending and presenting in-house education/ professional development.
- Appropriate additional or advanced training in presentation skills, Revit and 3D Modeling software.
- Leadership assessment and subsequent Leadership Training.
- Participation in AIA, USGBC, DBIA or another appropriate professional association.
- Representation of KAI in committee and/or leadership participation in design or related professional and industry organizations.
- Attendance at appropriate regional or national conference or workshop to increase design, building type or subject matter training to build expertise/experience.
- Participation in Community/ Civic organization(s) as KAI Ambassador.
- Acquisition of licenses, LEED, DBIA, CSI and/or other higher levels of design or professional/technical accreditation, as applicable.