The purpose of this position is to be responsible for design, development, implementation, analysis of the design and project management of engineering systems.
Level: Professional Engineer Licensed; 5 Plus Years of Experience
Reports to: Director of Mechanical Engineering
- Perform engineering design evaluations and lead project engineering design, specific to HVAC Engineering
- Perform independent design of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, which can include decentralized and centralized systems
- Analyze existing heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems for buildings
- Recommend alterations to development and design to improve quality
- Prepares engineering analysis of projects, to include: preliminary design, budget analysis, calculations, life cycle costs, and equipment selection
- Prepares drawings and layouts; proficient in Revit and/or AutoCAD
- Prepares technical construction specifications
- Reviews the development of designs for compliance with applicable codes, adopted engineering standards, and good engineering practices.
- Performs field observations as part of the construction quality assurance process
- Assist with project schedules and assign work to team as needed
- Deliver technical presentations to internal and external audiences as required as part of the design process
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Effective communication skills: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; listens well.
- Demonstrates leadership skills: Able to assume a role of authority, as necessary; sets an example for coworkers and takes personal accountability for decisions.
- High accuracy and attention to detail: Able to perform work and job function with precision and accuracy; realizes errors can have significant impact on desired results and is able to avoid errors in almost all circumstances; carefully monitors processes; concentrates on details and organizes and maintains a system of records.
- Design: Generates creative solutions; translates concepts and information into images; uses feedback to modify designs; applies design principles; demonstrates attention to detail. Have ability to select and size systems and perform building load, pressure loss, ventilation, and fuel gas calculations.
- Code and Mathematical knowledge required: Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local building codes and safety laws. Work requires advanced math skills, special relationship abilities, and the ability to understand “abstract” principles behind math and physics. Have thorough knowledge of NFPA, ASHRAE Standards and various building, mechanical, energy conversation and fuel gas codes. Also, have thorough knowledge of the following HVAC equipment that includes boilers, chillers, air handlers, pumps, exhaust equipment, and terminal units.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Windows environment, Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel; AutoCAD, Revit, 3D CAD, BIM system experience
- Required Certifications: BS Mechanical Engineering, PE Licensure