Provides interior design input and design to both “stand-alone” interiors and KAI architecture projects where interiors services are provided. Able to collaborate within a multi-discipline team environment and maximize the use of resources to improve design and build collaboration, increase profit per project, and improve the value-added building strategies provided by KAI.
Provides appropriate design solutions that integrate space planning and layout, interior design, furnishings selection and specifications into projects. Works with the Project Manager, Senior Interior Designer, Project Designer, team members and consultants to efficiently and effectively create holistic solutions that meet industry and firm benchmarks and brand promises. Assists as requested in Marketing and Sales pursuits and presentations.
Level: 5+ years/IIDA
Reports to: Director of Design, Project Manager
Essential Functions – Internal
- Capitalizes on the talent and abilities of our unique multi-disciplined team environment to find strategic advantages and leverages them for project, group and firm success.
- Coordinates the work of others and clearly communicates the requirements for scope, schedule and budget for all tasks.
- Works as part of a digital design (BIM) team to achieve consistent results.
- Responsible for compliance with the firm’s record retention standard operating procedure for projects. Directly responsible to maintain project records and filing, both electronic and hard copy.
- Proactively coordinates Interiors schedules, scope, tasks and meetings with the Project Manager.
- Provides creative and aesthetic input into the interior design, integrating sustainability, design excellence and performance targets.
- Provides interior design concepts in terms of spatial quality, aesthetics and color, human and environmental factors, support of workplace, space and building function and/or lifestyle.
- Develops interior designs which respond to client program, goals, budget and support overall project goals and parameters. Develops interior designs which integrate with the building architectural design.
- Participates in the preparation and presentation of interior layout/design, finish and materials, and furniture/ fixture and equipment boards and presentations to gain review and approval.
- Integrates space planning and layout, interior design, furnishings selection and technical specifications.
- Researches and develops cost of interiors and furniture.
- In collaboration with the Project Architect and Project Designer, provides interior color and material studies and selections.
- Develops, in collaboration with the Project Designer and Project Architect, a preliminary furniture and equipment layout for all spaces on design drawings for confirmation of program. When required, indicate items to be furnished by others.
- Responds to design review comments. Coordinates work with the Project Designer and Project Architect to achieve a unified design concept.
- In coordination with the Project Designer and Project Architect, develops catalogue of material and product data as an aid to material, systems, and equipment definition during Design Development and Construction Document phase.
- Assists in interior design coordination with architecture and all engineering and sub-consultant services. Coordinates closely with lighting designer and assists with fixture selection. Coordinates the aesthetic materials and finishes for all exposed elements specified by other disciplines (MEP/FP, etc.).
- Participates in developing interior schematic design, design development deliverables (including specifications), as well as construction documents, details, schedules, materials and furniture procurement documentation.
- Responsible for the accuracy and detailed constructability of the construction documents. Leverages the talents of the firm’s in-house Build group as needed.
- Participates in construction administration of interiors and review of interiors and furniture related submittals and samples.
- As requested, assists in development of, and participation in interiors presentations for marketing and sales, and for reviews and approvals.
- Assists in the development of interior design related materials for marketing, sales and award submissions.
- Professional degree in Interior Design and/or Architecture from accredited interiors or architecture program required.
- 5+ years experience in interior design and/or furnishings selection within an architectural, interior design, commercial furniture dealership, or as an in-house facility management interior design professional.
- Emerging Professional on the path to interior design professional certification preferred.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Portfolio and client references from interior design work for clients in one or more of the KAI client building types required.
- Experience in a specific phase, style and/or field of interior design especially as relates to KAI client and project types.
- Knowledge of codes, regulatory requirements, interior design and furniture specifications, calculations and industry standards required. Experience with SpecLink specification software preferred.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment, coordinate work with in house team and consultants required.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, organized and competent.
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Must be willing to travel as necessary for project work and for inter-office training and coordination activities.
- AutoCAD, Revit and Microsoft Office Suite proficiency required. Additional knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and other design and presentation software desirable.
- Must have a working knowledge of, or be willing and able to learn, various other management, design, modeling, rendering, analysis, presentation and graphic software applications.
- Eligibility for Associate or Senior Associate.
- Participation in in-house education and development assessment, workshops and conferences.
- Participation in presenting in-house education and professional development.
- Attendance at appropriate regional conferences, workshops or training to increase interior design expertise.
- Appropriate additional training in presentation skills, BIM, 3D modeling, Adobe Creative Suite or other design software.
- Participation in professional organizations for continuing education, professional development, networking and representation of KAI.
- Participation in KAI in-house activities and events.
- Participation as volunteer in Community/ Civic organization(s) as KAI Ambassador.
- Acquisition of Certification, NCIDQ, NCARB, LEED and/or other higher levels of accreditation, as applicable.