The Project Estimator builds effective relationships with team members, internal and external customers, suppliers, and subcontractors. This person is responsible for supporting the Preconstruction Team in the preparation of preliminary budgets, milestone cost estimates, and final bid scope/pricing proposals for various types of commercial and institutional construction projects.
Level: Entry/Mid-level 1-7 Years’ Experience
Reports to: Director of Preconstruction
- Review construction documents and understand scope of work to bid.
- Executes material and quantity take-offs of construction documents.
- Inputs take-offs into estimating software.
- Obtains pricing for materials.
- Obtains bids from subcontractors.
- Prepares cost analysis in computer by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor and overhead costs incurred in the installation of items.
- Make an estimate where predetermined standards are not available.
- General knowledge about construction trades, operations and materials.
- General knowledge of construction costs and cost estimating software.
- Work and communicate effectively with team members, sub-contractors, and suppliers in developing estimates.
- Ability to read Specifications and correlate with Drawings and project requirements.
- General knowledge of construction sequencing, union trade jurisdictions and scheduling software.
- Develop and maintain resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree Civil or Construction Engineering, Construction Management, or a similar field of study
- 1-7 years Related Estimating Experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and values the process.
- Ability to read, understand and organize construction plans and specifications
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks.
- Strong ability to multitask, prioritize, and work well under pressure to meet established deadlines
- Equivalent of bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field.
- Marketing experience in the architecture, engineering, construction or real estate development industry preferred.
- Experience in the production of proposals, marketing materials and graphics required.
Other Duties and Qualifications
- Ability to learn and grow. Not afraid to ask questions.
- Ability to be dependable and persistent to carryout tasks needed for smooth operation of department.
- This position must be flexible to accommodate the needs of our customers.
- Open to suggestions; sensitive to personal and professional aspects of co-workers; positive attitude; willing to contribute skills to better accomplish a task.
- Demonstrates professional poise and maturity; responds well to pressure and tight time frames; seeks to improve professional skills and knowledge.
- Displays extra effort; willingness to stick with project. Takes pride in successful accomplishment.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments.
- Must be team oriented.