The Senior Estimator builds effective relationships with team members, internal and external customers, suppliers, and subcontractors. This person is responsible for preparing preliminary budgets, milestone cost estimates, and final bid scope/pricing proposals for various types of commercial and residential construction projects.
Level: Mid/Senior-7-10 Years Experience
Reports to: Director of Preconstruction
- Proficient knowledgeable about construction trades, operations and materials.
- Proficient knowledge of construction costs and cost estimating software. Proficient in developing conceptual and final cost estimates.
- Work and communicate effectively with design team and sub-contractors in developing estimates and identifying value-engineering options.
- Establish man-hour requirements for estimates.
- Proficient knowledge of construction sequencing, union trade jurisdictions and scheduling software. Proficient in developing conceptual and final project scheduling.
- Work effectively with design team and sub-contractors in developing phasing and schedule options.
- Maintains knowledge of construction industry estimating and scheduling practices and recommends improvements, which elevate firm to a leadership position in industry
- Must be team oriented.
- Must be competent at recommending corrective actions required to maintain project quality, schedule and budgets.
- Ability to identify, and carryout, tasks needed for smooth operation of department.
- This position must be flexible to accommodate the needs of the firm.
- Ability to make decisions, get decisions made, delegate and work through others; getting others to do their best and remain calm under pressure.
- Open to suggestions; sensitive to personal and professional aspects of co-workers; positive attitude; willing to contribute skills to better accomplish a task.
- Demonstrates professional poise and maturity; responds well to pressure; seeks to improve professional skills and knowledge.
- Moving above and beyond the assigned task outlined by job description; demonstrates initiative, willingness to search out what has to be done and does it.
- Displays extra effort; willingness to stick with project. Takes pride in successful accomplishment.
- Executes specific assignments from general direction and limited supervision.
- Bachelor’s Degree Civil or Construction Engineering, Construction Management, or a similar field of study
- 7-10 years Related Estimating Experience
- Advanced project estimator skills that include performing engineering calculations, being conversant in engineering nomenclature to effectively communicate with Application Engineers, Product Managers, Project Managers, Engineering and vendors
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to read, understand and organize construction plans and specifications
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and with minimal structure while exercising great judgment
- Strong Ability to multitask, prioritize, and work well under pressure to meet established deadlines