The Director of Technology is a multi-functional job, responsible for overall strategic planning & technical support for digital design and engineering, construction, and information technology, with a primary focus on utilizing current and emerging technologies for continuous improvement of KAI’s project design and delivery process.
This role will oversee the application of technological best practices affecting design and engineering, construction, and information across the company to develop, implement, and manage these best practices, strategizing with project teams and company leadership to implement technological processes to ensure that technology enhances our projects design and delivery success.
Level: Director, 10+ years of experience
Reports to: Managing Partner
Oversee the use of innovative technology in the design, engineering, project management, execution, and construction for all sizes of building design and construction with an emphasis on Building Information Modeling (BIM), Visualization, Production, Information flow, Document Control, and integration into Construction.
- Actively participate in company meetings for Digital Design, BIM, Creative Media, Document Control, Information Technology, and Construction Technology.
- Lead discussion with KAI leadership team on how to invest in digital advancements and develop and monitor annual budget.
- Meet regularly with company leadership on identifying, discussing and solving technology issues related to design, project management, and construction.
- Working knowledge of Information Systems, Information Technology, and infrastructure including networks (cloud and servers) computer hardware, software, and communication systems.
- Single point of contact responsible for directing company’s IT Managed Service Provider.
- Lead, manage, and be accountable to the company and team members.
BIM Specific Leadership Functions
- Manage the creation and maintenance of A&E mode templates and integration within the disciplines
- QC review of Revit models for on-going projects
- Support periodic clash detection within the BIM model while working with other disciplines to resolve all conflicts
- Provide support to designers/engineers by preparing families, schedules and automation of tasks
- Review and implement Revit add-ons
- Proactively manage AutoDesk and Bluebeam licensing, updates and trouble shooting
- Support ongoing training of BIM users, including preparation and presenting of some sessions
- Effectively communicate information in one-on-one and small group situations with clients and other employees of the organization.
- Participate in business development, industry forums and social media, as required, to bring opportunities to the company from technology and to client presentations, proposals. Assist as needed with closing the sales opportunity.
- Oversee the development and implementation of training and workshops as it relates to technology within the company.
- One of the following undergraduate degrees: Architecture, Design Related, Information Technology, or equivalent, with 10+ years of experience in design and/or construction practice preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of, and proven practical background in, Autodesk Revit and related BIM software as it related to integrated, multi-discipline project execution.
- Five years of experience in project-specific BIM workflow.
- Two to five years of information systems and information technology experience.
- Strong communicator with the ability to convey technical concepts to all levels of design and delivery leadership.
- Relevant knowledge of other technology applications; such as Navisworks, Sketch-Up, Enscape, Lumion, Bluebeam, 3D Virtual platforms, laser scanning, drone technology, and how they operate together.
- Strong interest and/or previous experience presenting at conferences and events as a leader in digital design and construction.
- Experience managing and mentoring staff across multiple office locations.