Registered professional engineer with direct oversight for the engineering business unit who leads, manages, and is accountable for the goals and objectives, development and promotion of company values, long-range planning, positioning the business for growth, and ensuring profitability.
Director of Mechanical Engineering provides input to and implements Company vision, manages the Mechanical, Plumbing and Fire Protection Department to implement department staffing, project staffing, and technical development of personnel assigned to the Business Unit. The director is responsible for the Business Unit profit per project, project cost control and marketing and sales support.
Level: Licensed Professional, BS Degree in Architectural Engineering or Electrical Engineering, 20+ Years of Experience
Reports to: President of Design and Engineering
Supervises: Electrical Engineering Department
- Works with project managers to establish fees, budgets, schedules, staff projects, resolve conflicts, mitigate risks, and monitor performance for projects and client satisfaction.
- Interacts with project managers and other discipline directors on a weekly basis to review coordination, schedules, and performance.
- Reviews and analyzes financial goals for the department including billing on all projects.
- Demonstrates and encourages through action, the need among team members to clearly communicate the requirements for scope, schedule, and budget for each task.
- Provides necessary direction for planning the activities and work of the department. Organizes, develops and integrates the necessary talents and efforts of the business units, across multiple offices.
- Provides oversight and leadership for all phases of work. Coordinates efforts with other leaders in the business units and firm heading up safety, quality, drafting standards, and standardized project procedures.
- Responsible for overall quality control of department. Ensures adherence to professional and firm standards and best practices.
- Responsible for leading the recruiting, hiring, on-boarding of appropriate talent, and talent management of each business unit to provide the professional expertise required to meet client and project needs.
- Fosters an environment of collaboration within a multi-discipline team environment and maximizes the use of resources to improve design and build collaboration, meet and exceed profit per project goals, and improve the value-added building strategies provided by KAI.
- Ensures quality assurance, design excellence, and best practices and innovation for making and delivering our product.
- Embraces talent management principle and practices in support of creating and sustaining a highly engaged and technically competent staff of professional employees.
- Capitalizes on the talent and abilities of our unique multi-disciplined team environment, exploiting our Zone of Unfair Advantage to leverage project, group and company success.
- Works in close partnership with other business units to coordinate the integration of design and build on projects and teams.
- Works with marketing and studio leaders to formulate marketing strategies for the company, develop collateral, scopes and fees, and win work. Plans and develop markets for design and engineering to meet short range and long-range goals and objectives for the business units. Partners with appropriate studio leaders, design personnel, project managers and others responsible for developing proposal strategy, content, scope of services, fees and attending interviews.
- Acts as KAI Ambassador to the design and engineering community by participating in appropriate professional organizations, speaking, panel discussions and presentations at appropriate industry and professional events to gain recognition for the Enterprise.
- Meets with key clients on a regular basis to assess performance, future needs, long term plans, and overall satisfaction with the firm’s services.
- Professional degree in engineering required. Master’s Degree in allied profession preferred.
- Professional engineer with NCEES certification required.
- At least 20+ years of experience in engineering required.
- Expertise in leading, managing, and being accountable for organizations of 20 or more employees required, including having direct supervision of senior level staff.
- Technical competency in design, engineering, and production required.
- Expertise in specific building type, market, or industry sector preferred.
- Expertise in managing clients, teams, and projects required.
- Proven track record for effective monitoring and controlling of projects required.
- Ability to participate in business planning, marketing, and business development planning, talent planning, and management required.
- Excellent written, graphic, and verbal communication skills is required.
- Willingness to travel as necessary for marketing, inter-office coordination, and project work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks and Bluebeam desired.
- Experience with various other design, construction, and project management software, including Microsoft Project, Procore, Ajera and similar software desired.
- DBIA, ASME, NSPE, IEEE, or other professional membership, accreditation, and affiliation preferred.
- Leadership participation in strategic planning and succession planning.
- Professional Participation in leadership development assessment, workshops and conferences.
- Participation in regional and national workshops and conferences, through various media, as thought leader, author, panelist and/or presenter to gain recognition for KAI.
- Participation in professional organizations at a committee or leadership level.
- Participation as KAI Ambassador in community/civic organizations.