Provides overall leadership for the Architecture Department at KAI. Fosters an environment of collaboration within a multi-discipline team environment and maximizes the use of resources to improve design and build collaboration, increase profit per project, and improve the value-added building strategies provided by KAI.
Responsible for directing and managing the Department including all personnel assigned to the department. Leads discipline specific professional and technical standards, quality assurance practices, design excellence, best practices and innovation.
Works together with Director of Design and Studio Leaders to attract and retain the best architectural talent and to deliver design, technical and service excellence to clients during all phases of projects. Works in close partnership with other Directors to coordinate the integration of design and build on projects and teams, and to set company quality standards and practices. Works with Marketing and Studio Leaders to formulate marketing strategies for the company, develop collateral, scopes and fees, and win work.
Works with Project Managers to staff projects, establish fees, budgets and schedules, resolve conflicts, mitigate risks, and monitor performance metrics for projects and client satisfaction. Works with the BIM/ VDC Manager to ensure the technical support, planning, training, hardware, and software tools to perform work effectively and efficiently. Coordinates annual employee reviews and career/professional development opportunities for department staff.
Level: Licensed, 20+ Years Experience
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer; Chief Integration Officer
Supervises: Architecture Department
Essential Functions – Internal: Leadership
- Capitalizes on the talent and abilities of our unique multi-disciplined team environment to find strategic advantages and leverages them for project, group and firm success.
- Demonstrates and encourages through actions the need among team members to clearly communicate the requirements for scope, schedule and budget for each task.
- Leads a digital design (BIM) team and leverages their talents to achieve consistent results.
- Provides necessary direction for planning the activities and work of the department. Organizes, develops and integrates the necessary talents and efforts of the department, across multiple offices.
- Leads in the ongoing development and implementation of KAI goals, values and culture for the department across multiple offices.
- Participates with KAI Leadership in with firm-wide annual business planning, career management, strategic planning and succession planning activities.
- In conjunction with Leadership, Marketing, and Studio Leaders, assists in developing the annual business plan and budget and then monitoring the department’s performance to that plan.
- In close partnership with Marketing, plans and develops markets for Architecture to meet short range and long range goals and objectives for the department and the company. Partners with appropriate Studio Leaders, Design Personnel, Project Managers and others responsible for developing proposal strategy, content, scope of services, fees and attending interviews.
- Establishes and monitors specific project performance objectives for the department.
- Provides oversight and leadership for all phases of work. Coordinates efforts with other leaders in the department and firm heading up safety, quality, drafting standards, and standardized project procedures.
- Provides leadership for the department for integrating the collaboration of design and build and achieving its integration and implementation on projects. Collaborates with leadership in Architecture, Operations, Engineering, and Construction to plan, train and implement.
- Provides direction for improving technical strategies within the Works with BIM/VDC Manager to implement design and management software and hardware solutions to continuously support and improve design and project performance.
- Responsible for overall quality control of Ensures adherence to professional and firm standards and best practices.
- Acts as an engaged leader and actively coaches and supports staff to achieve career objectives, and takes responsibility for attraction and retention of quality staff.
- Assists others in development and implementation of continuing education, career and leadership development programs for staff.
Essential Functions – Internal: Administrative
- Coordinates with other Directors, the COO and CIO on staffing, project coordination, schedules and performance.
- In collaboration with the Project Managers, Studio Leaders and Design Director, assigns appropriate staff and assists in dividing work into clearly definable tasks and deliverables at a department level.
- Reviews and analyzes financial goals for the department including billing on all projects.
- Interacts with Project Managers on a weekly basis to review coordination, schedules and performance.
- Provides support, mentoring and coaching to Project Managers.
- In collaboration with Project Manager, analyzes any claims, technical problems, and field issues with input from COO and/or CIO.
- Reviews weekly time sheets for the Department.
- Reviews all expense reports for the Department.
- Authorizes all vacation and overtime in conjunction with Project Managers.
- Responsible for leading the recruiting, hiring and on-boarding of appropriate talent to meet the expertise and registrations required to meet client and project Responsible for department hiring and terminations.
- Responsible for scheduled performance reviews and career planning for department Along with appropriate input from others, responsible for the review of overall performance and personnel rankings of department staff.
- Participates with leadership in promotions, bonus pool determinations and other salary and benefit evaluations for all department staff.
- Reviews employee satisfaction survey feedback and develops responses for improvement.
Essential Functions – External
- Partners with appropriate KAI leaders to market and/or demonstrate design and technical expertise to clients. With significant projects, leads marketing and client presentations and interactions.
- Partners with others to represent the Architecture department in the community, in professional organizations, and at appropriate industry and civic events.
- Acts as KAI Ambassador to architectural community and/or architecture and design & build organizations.
- Participates in appropriate speaking, panel discussions and presentations at appropriate industry and professional events to gain KAI recognition.
- Reviews client and stakeholder satisfaction survey feedback and develops responses for improvement.
- Meets with key clients on a regular basis to assess performance, future needs, long term plans, and overall satisfaction with the firm’s services.
- Participates in attracting and recruiting Architecture department staff at all levels.
- Professional Degree in Architecture required.
- Registered Architect and NCARB required.
- At least 20+ years of experience in Architecture required.
- Technical competency in design and/or production required.
- Expertise in specific Building type, Market or industry sector preferred.
- Expertise in Managing clients, teams and projects required.
- Prior experience with task management and proven track record for effective cost control and budgeting is required.
- Ability to participate in business planning, marketing and business development planning, talent planning, and management.
- Personal skills to lead, direct and motivate senior department personnel.
- Excellent written, graphic and verbal communication and leadership skills.
- Willingness to travel as necessary for marketing, inter-office coordination and project work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Proficiency in AutoCAD, Revit, and Bluebeam encouraged.
- Experience with construction and project management software encouraged.
- Must be willing to learn various other design, construction and project management software, including Microsoft Project, Procore, Ajera and similar software.
- Knowledge of design and construction industry software tools to enable supervision and coordination with BIM/VDC Manager.
- AIA and/or DBIA membership, accreditation, and affiliation perferred.
- Vice President; eligibility for Senior Vice President.
- Leadership assessment and subsequent leadership training.
- Leadership participation in Strategic Planning and Succession Planning.
- Professional Participation in Leadership Development assessment, workshops and conferences.
- Participation in regional and national workshops and conferences, through various media, as thought leader, author, panelist and/or presenter to gain recognition for KAI.
- Participation in AIA and/or DBIA at a committee or leadership level.
- Leadership participation in a committee and/or related professional design and industry organizations as KAI Ambassador.
- Participation as KAI Ambassador in Community/Civic organization(s).
- Acquisition of other higher levels of architecture, design and construction related accreditation, as applicable.